Nagoya Institute of Technology

Font size
Site search

Current Students

Home > Current Students > Visa and Registration

Visa and Registration

1) Resident Registration

Foreign Nationals staying in Japan must undergo alien registration within 14 days upon arrival. Please, go to the ward office in your area (or city or town hall for those living outside Nagoya).

Requirements for Registration

  • Application Form for Moving-in Notification (Available at the Ward office)
  • Your Passport
  • Zairyu-card (Residence Card)
Ward Office Address Telephone No. Nearest Station
Showa Ward Office 3-19 Ayuchi-tori, Showa-ku,466-8585 +81-52-731-1511 Gokiso station, Tsurumai Subway Line
Chikusa Ward Office 103 Yamate Hoshigaoka Chikusa-ku, 464-8644 +81-52-762-3111 Higashiyamakoen station,
Higashiyama Subway Line

If you live in a Ward other than those above, please refer to Ward Information at the website of Nagoya City Hall. The website can be found at

2) Introduction of Monthly Enrollment Verification

It is required by our authority that the enrolment status of all International students must be under supervision of the university they belong to. Under the circumstance, NITech decided to check your enrollment status on a monthly basis. All the International students (including Research students and Exchange students) are required to come to International Affairs Division for this purpose once a month.

Place International Affairs Division (Building 19, 2nd Floor, Office hour from 08:40 – 17:10 except National holidays)
Deadline No later than the 10th day every month (If the deadline falls on office holiday, the deadline will be the last business day before the deadline)
What to bring Student ID card (enrollment status is checked by scanning it to a card reader)


  1. The above procedure is required also to the International students who are the scholarship recipients and are currently required to sign at International Affairs Division beginning of every month.
  2. This enrollment verification is applicable even during summer and winter holidays.
  3. The above procedure will be extremely important to keep your student VISA status, since NITech will report your enrollment status to Immigration Bureau as well as MEXT based on the result of this check. The International Students who failed to sign might be considered to be “missing” or “not enrolled in NITech”, which might cause, in the worst case, losing VISA status and/or being deported from Japan. The scholarship recipient students might face the suspension or cancellation of scholarship in the same case.
  4. If you cannot manage to come by the designated deadline due to an unavoidable reason, it must be notified to International Affairs Division in advance.

3) Extension of Period of Stay

If you wish to extend your period of stay to continue school or enroll in graduate school, you need to apply for an extension to your period of stay.

To apply for an extension, you may submit the following items to the Immigration Bureau from three month prior to the expiry date until the day before. Please, make certain you are aware of when your period of stay expires and take steps to ensure you are not late in applying for an extension. One of the necessary documents should be prepared by the International Affairs Division, please contact to the International Affairs Division for further procedures.

If the extension is granted, please inform the International Affairs Division urgently.

Items Required for Applying

  • An Application for Extension of Period of Stay
    This application form is available at the International Affairs Division. It can also be downloaded from the website of the Immigration Bureau.
  • Certificate of Registration *
  • Academic Transcript *
  • Proof of sufficient funds to pay for your school expenses **
  • Your Passport
  • Your Zairyu-Card (Residence Card)
  • A handling fee
  • * Undergraduate and Graduate students may obtain these on their own using the automated kiosk in building 19. Former research students currently enrolled in Master’s and Doctoral programs must submit their academic transcripts (Research plan) for the preceding year(s). Research students may obtain them at the International Affairs Division. The process may take up to seven days, so please apply early.
  • ** Proof of sufficient funds includes:

    For students paying their own expenses

    • A scholarship certificate showing the amount and the period of scholarship
    • A bank statement showing the student’s account balance

    For students who are financed by a sponsor

    One or more of the following:

    • A bank statement showing the sponsor’s account balance
    • The sponsor’s tax statement showing total annual income
    • The sponsor’s tax withholding slip
    • A copy of the sponsor’s income declaration
    • A pledge written by the sponsor

4) Temporarily Leaving the Country:
Temporary Departure and Re-entry Permit

If you intend to temporarily leave and return to Japan within one year, in order to see family or attend conference, you are not required to apply for a re-entry permit. If it is over one year, you are required to obtain a re-entry permit at the Immigration Bureau. You cannot leave the airport if you fail to do so.

Obtain “Permission for Leaving Japan” at the International Affairs Division, and have permission from your supervisor. Please, submit it to the International Affairs Division in advance.

For the students residing in the dormitory should notify to the management office. Please, double check the rules and regulations in advance.

5) Obtaining a Part-Time Job:
Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted

Because your student visa only qualifies you to engage in study and research while in Japan, you are, as a rule, prohibited from working. Student visas are granted on the grounds that students have sufficient finances to support themselves without having to work.

If you wish to work a part-time job to earn money for purposes other than school tuition, you will first have to obtain permission from the Immigration Bureau to engage in activities other than those permitted by your visa status. Working without permission or engaging in work outside the scope permitted may result in penalties, possibly including deportation from Japan.

If you need a part-time job, discuss your reasons for working as well as the type of job and hours you intend to work with your supervisor before applying for a permit. Then, inform it to the International Affairs Division.

You are forbidden from working jobs at adult entertainment venues like cabarets and night clubs, or from working jobs related to this industry.


In some circumstances, you may be permitted to work up to 28 hours per week upon application.
During a summer break, you may be permitted to work up to 8 hours per day.

Guidelines for Japanese Government Scholarship Students Wishing to Apply for a Conditional Work Permit

International students of the Japanese Government Scholarship program are guaranteed to be provided with sufficient financial resources, allowing students to focus on their academic studies without having to worry about financial problems.
Therefore, it is neither recommended nor consistent with the spirit of the program for Japanese Government Scholarship students to obtain a conditional work permit with the intention of saving money through part-time work.

We ask you to read and understand the following sections regarding the procedures for Japanese Government Scholarship students who would like to apply for a conditional work permit.

Given the presupposition that Japanese Government Scholarship students have sufficient financial support from the Japanese Government for their academic studies, the University will not allow students to apply for a conditional work permit unless there is a genuinely compelling reason for it.

Some of these genuinely compelling reasons may be:

  1. If asked to work as a cultural collaborating assistant in a public organization
    (a regional public organization or an incorporated foundation)
  2. If asked to work as a legal interpreter for a courthouse
  3. If participating in an internship that is necessary for relevant study/research
  4. Other reasons for which external working activities will contribute to study/research

6) Upon graduating from NITech and leaving Japan

Upon graduating from NITech and leaving Japan, students must follow required procedures and submit necessary documents. If you return to your home country without completing procedures, this may lead to problems later on, so please be very careful. Details are below.


To page top